Monday, April 7, 2008

Beautiful Hike: Wilson Trail, Sections 1 and 2

April 7: The view of Hong Kong Island from Joyce's window is much different than the vistas on the Wilson Trail.

The Wilson Trail is a monster sprawling across 48 miles, from Southern Hong Kong Island through New Territories.




The trail is broken down into 10 manageable sections, each of which should take 3-4 hours according to my guide books. After filling up with tea and dim sum, I make it to the trailhead at Stanley Gap by 2 p.m.

The first section is a bit grueling – up and down mountains with spectacular panoramic views of the South China Sea, Repulse Bay and green mountains. The trip takes me through amazing undeveloped land, dense brush, and it leads up to distant views of Hong Kong’s skyline.

Stopping for photos provides much needed rest time.

Noisy bugs careen above the often-rocky trail; they pass like busy traffic on Hong Kong’s congested streets. Big trucks and buses take the form of buzzing bee-like creatures. White and black and yellow butterflies join hawks circling above my head, as if peering down from invisible skyscrapers.




The second section is a bit easier (heading north), but not much. It has a different feel, though. Rather than the ocean views, section two has amazing views of Kowloon and northern Hong Kong Island. The city lights begin to flicker as I am one-third finished. The sun disappears in the hazy atmosphere (most likely an industrial byproduct), and I hurry to complete the trip in darkness.

The dense brush becomes pitch black now, and poor signage doesn’t help. I think I take a wrong turn, which leads me past a sculpture of a goddess and soft Chinese music playing from a small stereo. I exit on Quarry Road, very sweaty, subject of many disgusted glances. A bus takes me to Central, where I transfer to Ap Lei Chau.

I walked across all of Hong Kong Island, from north to south. And I made it home. Hooray.



No comments: