Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tourist Visa to Mainland China

April 14: Visas for visiting mainland China have changed in preparation for the Olympics. Multiple entry visas are no longer available. Because I need to offer proof of accommodation for each day planned in China, I will need to use a significant amount of money to ensure my trip – which will take more planning than I have done to date.

What to do!?!? Postpone visa details with a madcap week of tourism. The Hong Kong Tourism Board helps with a slew of free classes. I register for Chinese medicine, fung shui, Duk Ling junk ride (no longer, free as of this spring. $50 HK), tea appreciation, Cantonese opera appreciation and Chinese cake-making.

A $30 weekly museum pass and crab dinner (from a market in nearby Aberdeen) prepares me for the rigors of budget tourism. Before you buy a weekly pass, be warned, only a select few museums honor the pass (although many are free anyway), and it will not allow entry to special exhibits at the Hong Kong Art Museum.


No comments: