Sunday, May 25, 2008

Beer Ranking: Tsingtao




May 21: Tsingtao is China's oldest and most popular beer. I like it too, especially the price in Hong Kong

Draft Beer Tsingtao – smooth, but very watered down. Better than domestic light beers in the states. I like the taste of regular Tsingtao much better.

Tsingtao Premium - a similar evaluation goes to this “premium” beer. It even tastes like it might have been brewed rather than mixed up with chemicals. Still the flavor seems a bit watered down compared to what I expected from the “premium.” Tastes like a mild corona. I miss the little bite from Tsingtao. Tsingtao premium is good. I can imagine buying a six-pack of the beer in the states if the price were comparable, but considering price alternatives, I won’t buy it again.

Tsingtao Dark - quite a step away from the breed of beers generally easy to find in Hong Kong. It’s a dark ale. Tastes solid, and sweet aftertaste. This beer is quite different than anything else Tsingtao is selling. I’m not a huge fan of dark ales, but it tastes good, although not as good as American microbrews.

Tsingtao (regular) – some might prefer the “premium,” but this is my favorite all around Tsingtao beer, only partially paying attention to cost. When cost becomes more important, HuiQuan sounds even tastier.

HuiQuan – Drinking HuiQuan immediately after Tsingtao regular, I am disappointed by what had become my new favorite beer. It’s not as crisp as Tsingtao regular and doesn’t taste as fresh. Regardless, for the price, it’s still my favorite. Superior, I think, to the Pearl River budget options.

GA YAU, YUM BEH JAU!

加 油 飲 啤 酒!

No comments: