Thursday, May 29, 2008

Losing Money at Happy Valley Racecourse




June 28: I visit Happy Valley Racecourse for the Wednesday night race with Joyce and her mother.

Early in my trip, a fortuneteller advised that I don’t gamble. I will lose, he said.

I didn’t gamble at all when I visited Macau,. I usually never gamble. Even so, I thought I’d try my luck in the last race of the night.

I had already dropped $120HK on a pitcher of Stella Artois (still cheap by American sporting event standards). Wouldn’t it be nice to win it all back with a profit? Of course.



Mrs. Choi goes to help me place my bet, and she makes a wager of her own.

We wait around for the race to begin. The horses run past. They speed down the grass out of view. My heart beats fast. The crowd screams. I'm not wearing glasses, can't see the results.




We return to the bet counter. Of course, the fortuneteller was right. My $90HK disappears into the Jockey Club coffers.

Mrs. Choi, however, is smiling. She wins about $150HK.



Here’s a link to one of the three videos
http://video.xanga.com/amywong0709/3a8d8761061/video.html

No comments: