Sunday, May 18, 2008

Changed My Mind About Hong Kong Beer



May 17: I didn’t have a great impression of southern Chinese beer when I first arrived in Hong Kong. Everything tasted like a watered-down or bittered-up Heineken.

Cheap pilsners and lagers with nearly identical tastes fill the beer aisles of Wellcome, Park 'N Shop and 7-11.

Tonight, a cheap, tasty version of Tsingtao and a bag full of wasabi-roasted green beans change my mind.

The Cantonese phrase for encouraging hard work echoes in my head, “Add oil, Add oil, Add oil.” With each handful of crunchy wasabi beans, the echo bounces back, “Drink beer! Drink beer! Drink beer!”

The five words rhyme in Cantonese, “GA YAU, YUM BEH JAU! GA YAU, YUM BEH JAU! GA YAU, YUM BEH JAU!” (加 油 飲 啤 酒)

...Ho mei-ah



I love wasabi-roasted green beans.

No comments: