Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Foot Massage




May 24: A man caresses my feet with oily hands. This is my first time paying a man to touch me. In the couch next to me, Joyce drink complimentary herbal tea while a woman kneads her calves

Hong Kong is famous for massage parlors, and not all of them are brothels.

We visit one in Aberdeen for a more economical massage (compared to the wrinkled touts milling around TST) Even so, with weekend prices at $148HK per 45-minute session, it’s not so cheap. If you want cheap, go to remote towns in New Territories or enter the Mainland.

The man smiles sheepishly. He rubs the arch of my left foot.

“This is a meridian,” he says. “In traditional Chinese reflexology, there are six meridians. This is the meridian for stomach. If you have problem with digestion, it will hurt. Do you feel pain?

“It’s kinda sore.”

In Cantonese, he asks Joyce about my bowel movements. “Mo mun tai.” No problems.

“I climbed a mountain yesterday.”

“Oh. Maybe just sore feet.”



Near the entrance, a giant foot explains reflexology points in the human foot.

No comments: